novel idea • Gainesville, GA Bible/book repair day – April 4 . The Hall County Library System is offering to help people with books or bibles in need. Jack Kyle of the National Library Bindery will provide free estimates on the cost of repairing or restoring those old texts. Should you want a repair, Kyle can take books to a company in Roswell. They’ll be returned to the library in two months. That’s just freakin brilliant.
worth the read – from the Guardian
• a nifty piece on
• When novelist Elaine Dundy learned she was losing her sight she fought despair, recalling the tenacity of her friends Aldous Huxley and James Thurber.
• Tom Stoppard argues that free speech is not an inalienable human right
other people’s research •Allen Esterson gives us the low down on Mileva Marić: Einstein’s Wife,and Alberto Martinez gives us another point of view on Mrs Einstein.
hi, spy • Just when you thought you had heard all the stories, the Toronto Star gives us Ernest Hemingway the secret agent.
• In honor of National Poetry month the friendly folks at Knopf will email you a poem a day for the month of April and they have all the poems from 2005 available.
• the New Yorker gives us a short story from Louise Erdrich: Gleason
• The Granta site has quite a number of pieces from previous issues available to read..
obit worth reading • Lucille Emch 96, a longtime University of Toledo librarian and rare books scholar.