Sorry for being so busily gazing at my own navel, but until we get universal health care blogging is the new psychotherapy.
While working on a secret project with a few of the fellas, I came across a few tasty tidbits I think I can share safely. Here are some free downloadable books about booksellers; some from Google books and some from Project Gutenberg.
- Altick, Richard D. The Scholar Adventurers New York : The Macmillan Co. 1950
- Bancroft, Hubert Howe Literary Industries A Memoir New York: Harper Brothers. 1891
- Chambers, William Memoir of Robert Chambers: With Autobiographic Reminiscences of William W. & R. Chambers 1872
- Knight, Charles Shadows of the Old Booksellers Bell and Daldy 1865
- Lackington, James Memoirs of the Forty-Five First Years of the Life of James Lackington, Bookseller Printed for the Author 1792
- Macandrew, Isaac Forsyth Memoir of Isaac Forsyth, Bookseller in Elgin, 1768-1859 London: Kegan Paul 1889
- Martson, Edward Sketches of Booksellers of Other Days S Low Marson & Company 1901
- West, Wiliam Fifty Years’ Recollections of an Old Bookseller: Consisting of Anecdotes .n.p. Cork 1835
- Bennett, Arnold Riceyman Steps New York:G.H. Doran Co. [c1923]
- Field, Roswell The Bondage Of Ballinger Fleming H. Revell 1903
- Field, Eugene The Love Affairs of a Bibliomaniac NY:Scribners, 1896
- Morley, Christopher The Haunted Bookshop Garden City, Doubleday Page & Co., 1919
- Morley, Christopher Parnassus on Wheels Garden City, Doubleday Page & Co., 1917
Have some more books on books and book collectors at Gutenberg Project
It seems a wrong on so many levels to read books about bookselling in this anti-biblio format, but I tend to see it as taste testing. If I like the e-version, I buy the paper one.