from WBUR/Here & Now
• a nice piece about Joyce Kilmer’s Trees and the Columbia University’s Bad Poetry Contest in honor of Kilmer.
• a REALLY REALLY interesting piece about Nathanial Philbrick’s new book about the Mayflower, called of all things – Mayflower.
• Marilyn Johnson’s author of The Dead Beat : Lost Souls, Lucky Stiffs, and the Perverse Pleasures of Obituaries, was interviewed last week. I may have mentioned this book before I bring it up because I am reading it and it’s marvelous. I don’t read enough obituaries.
from WBUR/On Point
• fascinating conversation about Doc Holliday, & the myth of the American Gun Slinger and are we living with the results of this mythology? Gary Roberts author of Doc Holliday the Life and Legend guests.
from WHYY/Fresh Air
• Michelle Goldberg, a senior writer for the online magazine Salon, and covers the Christian Right. In her new book, Kingdom Coming: The Rise of Christian Nationalism, she writes that Christian nationalists believe the Bible is literally true — and they want to see the nation governed by that truth. I was sitting in my car listening to this and it scared the living crap out of me. This is just as important a news story as the NSA’s data mining of our phonecalls.